Friday, May 13, 2011

Something sweet (but not quite round)

Making a new challah recipe every (or almost every) week can be daunting. 

I've learned a lot about the science of proofing yeast and some general rules about working with dough, but there is something especially daunting about starting from scratch (ha!) with a new recipe each week. I do on occasion go back to recipes I've made before, (I think we all recall my obsession with dairy challah made with buttah aka Paula Challah). I'm guessing I'd lose my audience though if every Friday you found a blog about the my latest favorite video from YouTube and Ben's rants about the DMV. So onward and upwards with a new recipe, this one from our buddies at Zabars, which needless to say is one of my fav New York spots. 

This challah recipe has a lot going for it. 1) It was easy enough to make. 2) Needed only 2 hours and 45 minutes to rise. 3) Stole my heart when it called for 2 packages of yeast for one loaf (the yeastier the tastier). 4 & 5) Has enough sugar in it to please Zach Lainer and raisins to boot which would make my brother very happy were he not en route to Louisville for the weekend (which reminds me happy graduation Leah!).


But bake up nice and perfect? Not so much. I'm going to take part of the blame for this since it was my first attempt at a round challah. But just like Beauty dug deep and found love for the Beast, I found love for this challah. Watch this sucker closely though, you will almost certainly need to tent it with aluminum foil to keep it from browning too much.



Next time I am going to make sure my dough is less sticky and throw some more flour on while kneading as well as oil my hands well before rolling out the dough. I was left with an enormous loaf which is probably about the same size as my friend Kellie's perfect baby boy born this morning (but far less attractive). 

Bradley Alexander Susterka! 7lb 6oz. 20 inches. Born May 13 at 5:01am.



Simple Sweet Challah

Recipe adapted from Andrea Watman
Published online by Zabars


Ingredients:
2 packages dry yeast
2/3 Cup Warm Water (110 degrees)
5 Egg Yolks – Lightly Beaten
3 Whole Eggs – Lightly Beaten
7 Tablespoons Corn Oil
½ Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Salt
4 ½ Cups Flour
1 Cup Raisins (Optional)
1 Egg Yolk – Beaten
Poppy Seeds (optional)


Preparation:

1. In cup or small bowl dissolve Yeast in the warm water with approx 1 tablespoon of sugar. After just a few minutes the yeast should begin to "bloom". It will become foamy and it will give off a sweet smell. If your yeast is not fresh this will not happen – do not go any further – start over with fresh yeast (ATTENTION RACHEL FOX).






2. In a large bowl mix Egg Yolks, Eggs, Oil, remaining Sugar, Salt and Yeast mixture.

3. Add enough flour to form stiff but sticky dough (I obviously used a standing mixer with a dough hook attachment, worked like a charm).

4. Then turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (adding more flour if needed) – about 6 minutes – work in raisins as kneading.

5. Form a ball and place in a greased bowl and turn dough so all sides are greased. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place in warm area to double in bulk – about two hours.



6. Punch down and knead briefly.

7. Roll dough into a 24” long rope. Create a spiral round loaf. (Sometimes I divide the dough into three parts, then I make three smaller ropes and braid them – then I form a circle from with the braid).

8. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment.

9. Brush loaf with beaten egg yolk, sprinkle top with poppy seeds (if desired), and allow too rise until dough doubles in size – about 45 minutes.

10. Bake until golden brown in a pre-heated 375 degree oven – 35 to 40 minutes.




I told you Bradley was better looking!

11. Allow to cool before slicing and enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. so, how does it taste? please describe the taste as I am on a no carb diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks Amazing! Love the diversity of the challah recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out! The challah looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete